What is your favorite and least favorite Carpenter film?

Discussion on BTLC director John Carpenter and his many works

What is your favorite and least favorite Carpenter film?

Postby Porkchop Express » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Besides "Big Trouble in Little China", what is your favorite John Carpenter film? Also which is your least favorite of his?

Not counting BTILC I would have to say for me personally my favorites would have to be "The Thing" with "Escape from New York" coming in right behind it. Being an Elvis fan I also really like the made for television "Elvis" movie he directed. I guess you can say I'm a huge fan of anything he does with Kurt Russell. lol. Would love to see those two working together one more time.

Now I haven't watched all of the Carpenter movies but one I recently revisited and hugely disliked was "Ghosts of Mars". That movie has definitely not held up through the years. You would think with a cast like Ghost of Mars had it wouldn't have been such a huge disaster but after rewatching the film I was in awe of how bad it is. lol. On a side note It's weird that all these "Mars" movies were being made at the same time. Remember "Red Planet" with Val Kilmer and "Mission to Mars"?
Porkchop Express

Re: What is your favorite and least favorite Carpenter film?

Postby Ninjahero » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:41 am

Yeah, Ghost of Mars was fun in a bad way. And They Live is also terrible. But somehow still awesome. Escape From LA is just a goofy good time.

I really didn't like his Vampires movie. I'm a fan of Vampires but I did not like his take. James Woods is a fun jerk in that movie, but overall I thought it was really weak. Halloween and Christine are two of his better films. The Thing is also great.

BTiLC is definitely my favorite of his. I might go Vampires as my least fav.
Ninjahero

Postby Porkchop Express » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 am

Ninjahero wrote:Yeah, Ghost of Mars was fun in a bad way. And They Live is also terrible. But somehow still awesome. Escape From LA is just a goofy good time.

I really didn't like his Vampires movie. I'm a fan of Vampires but I did not like his take.

I didn't even find Ghost of Mars fun in a bad way. lol. I actually kind of enjoyed Vampires for what it was. It's been awhile so I'll definitely rewatch it and see if I've changed opinions. Also have you seen The Ward? He directed that movie a few years back. I enjoyed that one.
Porkchop Express

Postby Ninjahero » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 am

I rewatched Vampires a year ago. It was on HBO or something. Not nearly as fun as I remembered. Sadly. It was rough. lol

Haven't seen the Ward. Let me know if you enjoy it.
Ninjahero

Postby Bazooka Goof » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Give me a few days to mull this one over, it's hard to decide. :)
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Return to John Carpenter