Prince of Darkness

Discussion on BTLC director John Carpenter and his many works

Prince of Darkness

Postby Mwinter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:39 am

Truly disturbing film, especially if you are 'religious'. Excellent cast choices (Egg and Wang always = win, add Alice Cooper and AJ Simon and you have made win sauce), great music (mostly from JC if memory serves?), and some chilling visuals.

I think *THIS* JC film might stand a good revamp...the story is easily moved forward in time (there's always another 'apocalyptic year' coming up), and as long as the dark tone and heavy backstory are in place modern SFX and CGI could be put to good use I think.
"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."
Mwinter

Re: Prince of Darkness

Postby JACKs BTILC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm

Yes it was a good scary film. I just hope it gets a Blu-Ray soon.
JACKs BTILC

Postby Bazooka Goof » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 am

I just bought the complete soundtrack for Prince of Darkness (2 CD set) and am pleased with it. Not only does it include much of the missing tracks not found on the original release, it also includes the original truncated release as well. (In the liner notes, Alan Howarth states that they were limited to 50 minutes of music, so had to make sacrifices.)

I too, am eagerly awaiting a proper Blu-Ray release. :)
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Postby JACKs BTILC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:54 am

It's finally coming to Blu-Ray and a link to the cover art. They still don't have info about features but it should be many good ones.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/17 ... -cover-art
JACKs BTILC

Postby Bazooka Goof » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:22 pm

APPROVED!
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Postby JACKs BTILC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:14 pm

It comes with the slip cover and the original poster artwork is on the reversible side of the new case artwork.

Here are the features.

- Audio Commentary with John Carpenter
- Sympathy For The Devil – An all-new Interview with Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Alice at the Apocalypse - An all-new interview with Actor & Rock Legend Alice Cooper
- The Messenger – All-new interview with Actor & Special Visual Effects Supervisor Robert Grasmere
- Hell On Earth –A look at the film’s score with Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds with host Sean Clark
- Alternate Opening from TV Version
- Original Theatrical Trailer

Scream has other new Carpenter titles to soon to be release this & next year like Body Bags.
JACKs BTILC

Postby Old Jack » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Interesting description of Prince of Darkness over at io9.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/john-carpenters-prince-of-darkness-contains-one-of-the-1762704953

I must admit I can't watch Prince of Darkness too often as it's really, subtly, creepy. It's scary in a way most horror films can't match today.
Old Jack

Postby Bazooka Goof » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Funny you should bring up this thread again, because my Blu-Ray of Prince of Darkness just arrived in the mail today!

Not sure when I'll be able to watch it, but hopefully soon- it's been a while since I've seen it. For years I considered buying the Japanese laserdisc (back when that was a thing) because the artwork on the jacket was nothing like I'd ever seen before, but the transfer was a bit muddy-looking.
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Postby Old Jack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

I've been looking at the blu-ray as well, but I can't bring myself to watch my dvd very often as is, so I've been holding off buying it.
Old Jack

Postby Bazooka Goof » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:56 pm

I threw it in just to see the picture quality, and it looks pretty stunning. It looks like there's a wealth of small documentaries accompanying it.

John Carpenter also does an audio commentary, although I've noticed that his commentaries tend to be fairly dry, unless Kurt Russell is with him. :)
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Next

Return to John Carpenter