BTILC: Old Jack new comic series! Fall 2017

Discussion of BTLC-related merchandise

BTILC: Old Jack new comic series! Fall 2017

Postby Porkchop Express » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Well it looks like we're going to have another comic book series to read. This one is titled Big Trouble In Little China: Old Jack. I'm actually kinda looking forward to this one. It will be interesting to see how Jack has changed in his old age. I'm also really hoping this one will be different from the previous BTILC comic series. Quite frankly I lost interest in the BTILC series after a few issues. The dialog and story line was just way too ridiculous and over the top. I'm hoping the Old Jack comic series will take a more serious and mature approach. But for some reason I highly doubt it and think they'll go for nonsense humor again. Anyways what do you guys think of this? http://screenrant.com/big-trouble-in-li ... -man-jack/
Porkchop Express

Re: BTILC: Old Jack new comic series! Fall 2017

Postby Ninjahero » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:13 am

Sounds interesting. But I'm sure it will be over the top like the last one. The problem with BTiLC is that people are trying to one up the movie instead of telling a new awesome story.

I wish they would let Lo Pan go and tell a new and different story. Another adventure of Jack, in another city, working with another friend. I think that would serve the storytellers better. But, doubt we'll ever see that.
Ninjahero

Postby Porkchop Express » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Ninjahero wrote:Sounds interesting. But I'm sure it will be over the top like the last one. The problem with BTiLC is that people are trying to one up the movie instead of telling a new awesome story.

I wish they would let Lo Pan go and tell a new and different story. Another adventure of Jack, in another city, working with another friend. I think that would serve the storytellers better. But, doubt we'll ever see that.

I agree that they should let Lo Pan go. I also agree it would be cool to see Jack in a new adventure with a new cast of friends. Maybe see how life has changed him over the years. And don't get me started on the last BTILC comic series. It was horrific. Even though I did end up with about 20 issues. lol
Porkchop Express

Postby Bazooka Goof » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:01 am

I briefly skimmed the article in the link, but must have missed the part about Lo Pan. I know there's a bigger demon trying to break into this world and "is tired of using pawns like Lo Pan" (or something to that effect)

I would probably agree; there's a whole universe of weird stuff for Jack to get into, it seems like Chinatown L.A. was only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Also, Jack's 60 and still wearing the exact same outfit? Am I understanding that correctly? :)
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Postby Ninjahero » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 am

Yeah, pretty funny they are afraid to give him a different outfit.

That's the problem with a lot of these "continued" stories of existing characters. Everyone is afraid to change anything. Same basic villains. Same basic setting. Same outfits.

I wish they would be bold, make a guess how Jack would change, and follow that story.
Ninjahero

Postby Bazooka Goof » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Ninjahero wrote:Yeah, pretty funny they are afraid to give him a different outfit.

That's the problem with a lot of these "continued" stories of existing characters. Everyone is afraid to change anything. Same basic villains. Same basic setting. Same outfits.

I wish they would be bold, make a guess how Jack would change, and follow that story.

When they announced the next Indiana Jones movie would be taking place in the 50's, there was a lot of speculation as to whether or not the costume would be updated. Apparently it was felt that any change would be too big a departure, and it's his "field outfit" anyway. It's a little strange that Indy hasn't changed his clothes in 20 years, either, but I get the point.

In Jack's case we're just seeing what, two days? Also, a mullet in the year 2020?

I've seen a little bit of a Snake Plissken comic and although his outfit doesn't really change, at least the settings & villains do, from what I've read.

I think there was another comic-book thread on this board where Jack wasn't doing CB broadcasts, but podcasts instead. At least that's different. :)
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Postby Ninjahero » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:14 am

Yeah, it's pretty funny to think the entire movie takes place over 2 days of Jack's life, and we assume that's exactly how every other day went.

I still think they should have sent him on a truck run to New Orleans or something. Battle a Voodoo priest or something fun. There's so much cool supernatural mythology in this country. Especially if you start getting into Native American myths. It would be a blast to have Jack in other places learning about other crazy stuff.

And don't get me started on Indy. What a trainwreck that last movie was. And I'm sure the next one will be even worse.
They need to stop treating him like Harrison Ford is the only one, and instead make it Bond esk. Get a different actor for a series of adventures. Then change it up. New actor, go again. He's the perfect American Bond type movie character.
Ninjahero

Postby Bazooka Goof » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Ninjahero wrote:And don't get me started on Indy. What a trainwreck that last movie was. And I'm sure the next one will be even worse.
They need to stop treating him like Harrison Ford is the only one, and instead make it Bond esk. Get a different actor for a series of adventures. Then change it up. New actor, go again. He's the perfect American Bond type movie character.

Nah, go ahead and vent- right now I'm the only one here with veto power as a moderator and I'm totally allowing it! 8-)

Crystal Skull was such a mixed bag for me, some good but also a lot of crap. I remember when they were trying to do another one and have it ready by 1994, and rumors were circulating that Kevin Costner was going to play Indy's long-lost brother. Probably for the best that didn't turn out, but the point is that they really waited too long to crank out these sequels.

I could buy Ford as a 57 year old man in Crystal Skull, but the next one takes place (so I hear) in the 70's to match Ford's age and I really think this is pushing the limits. An 80 year old action hero? I'd like to think a guy can still kick ass as he gets older, but there's a limit, especially since Indy's a brawler and not some mystical martial arts wizard.

When I heard rumors that Chris Pratt was in the lead to be the new Indy, I rejoiced. Finally! Now we can get back to having a hero in his prime and do stuff that can be believable.

Another actor I think who could have pulled it off is Timothy Olyphant. He's getting close to 50 and he could still do it, but I think if we're going to start over, let's get someone in his mid-30's so he can last at least for three movies.
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Postby Ninjahero » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:11 am

I actually think there is almost nothing redeemable about Crystal Skull. It's just so far off the mark of what Indy is. Magnetic Arks, Nuclear Fridges. Holy crap they lost me from the start.

But I think a big part of the problem is not just his age, but the setting. Indy works great in that WWII era. Back before technology starts making things less fun. Back when the classic adventurer story works. So, I was really excited about the prospect of a younger indy. I'm ready for a recast. I'm ready to see them start again. Tell different adventures. Make up new stories. I don't want remakes. I want new Indy adventures. Again, like the Bond franchise. Constantly change actors, but never change the heart of your stories.

Olyphant is a fun actor. You know who else I really like in that vein, Karl Urban. He could probably pull off a good Indy. Obviously he has to be able to be funny, without being goofy. I like Chris Pratt a lot, but I wonder how different his Indy would be. Whoever it is. Let's get on with it. :-)
Ninjahero

Postby Bazooka Goof » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Urban never disappoints; he's hilarious as McCoy in the new Trek films yet he's intimidatingly magnificent as Judge Dredd (if you haven't seen that movie I highly recommend it!)

(I've seen a few other films he's been in that weren't great, but Urban distinguishes himself admirably.)

I forget if I mentioned it here, but when they said they were updating Indy and putting him in the 1950's I was dismayed. If Lucas wanted to pay homage to the monster movies of the 1950's, he should have created an entirely new hero and built the story around him. (Like X-Files in the 50's, this could have been another interesting franchise.)

In fact, one of the earliest scripts for Indy 4 is floating around the internet and it's titled "Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars", and I have to admit: It's a poor Indiana Jones movie, but actually a great movie if you had a different character in the lead. I read the script, and it honestly reads more like a Die Hard movie. The action is more like John McClane instead of Indy.

Once again, Lucas fumbled the ball. At least he's not directly involved in the upcoming 5th movie. Still, they do need to reboot and get the series a shot in the arm. (As long as they get Ben Burtt to do the sound effects, I'm a happy guy.)
Bazooka Goof
Goof
Goof

Next

Return to Merchandise