The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Story of Green Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun Wukong
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: The Story of Green Eyes Reply with quote

Does anybody know... are green eyes really that rare a thing in China? Or purely a movie convention to motivate Lo Pan's actions?
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my old lady, who is Chinese, (See? I'm a TRUE fan!) about this- she said that true Chinese have no green eyes whatsoever.

The only exception would be people living in what are known as the New Territories; these people have interbred with Russians- the result would be mixed-races with the potential for green (or blue) eyes. Smile
Sun Wukong
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poking around, I found this:
Quote:
Each anatomical section of the eye is associated with a particular element and zang organ that corresponds to a particular sphere. The wood phase represented by the zang organ of the liver is called the wind sphere and corresponds to the iris. The heart and fire element is called the blood sphere and corresponds to the inner and outer canthi. The spleen and earth phase is called the flesh sphere and corresponds to the upper and lower eyelids. The lung being metal is called the qi sphere and corresponds to the conjunctiva. The kidney being water is called the water sphere and corresponds to the pupil. In a Chinese person with green eyes all of these correspondences would follow the typical five element color associations when there is no pathology present.

I wonder if this would have led to Lo Pan wanting the purity of the Green Eyes Lass to pay for his misdeeds, or something like that....
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool when something you research turns out to jibe with a movie you love, isn't it? Smile Seems the writers did their own research! Cool

(It's annoying when a movie claims something, and you know just enough about the subject to realize the writers thought they were being clever, or were just too lazy to look up the material!)
Miang
Wingkong Elite with White Goggles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that, or they were pulling it out of their a--, and it just happened to be correct.
I've done that before while writing. Wrote a bit of a storyline, with a little peculiarity that I figured would help the story along-- then when doing research for something else, found that I was right on target for that bit.

Life can get weird.
Sun Wukong
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just rewatching the extras, and a few things struck me.

Lo Pan asks Wang if Mai Ying's parent's were holy people, and what province they were from.

And later, in a cut scene on the special edition DVD, Gracie Law revelas she is saving new immagrants because she was born in China to missionary parents, and she had to come back to America and fend for herself. So, she was also born in China to holy people.

So maybe that's why Gracie also survived the burning blade?
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
So maybe that's why Gracie also survived the burning blade?

Interesting theory there... Smile
Miang
Wingkong Elite with White Goggles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo!
That does sound interesting.Smile I hadn't really noticed that before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: