The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Anything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El_Pierco
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some more jazz oriented stuff? Big fan of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Quincy Jones, Yoko Kanno,
I play guitar as well, and am hugely inspired by Trey Anastasio and Larry LaLonde.
I'm a big fan of Phish and Primus, most Claypool solo projects, Tom Waits, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, Moody Blues, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Loreena McKennitt, Sarah McLachlan, Warren Zevon, The Clash.

Recently I've also been been getting into some Utada Hikaru, Modest Mouse, Mulatu Astatke (thanks to director Jim Jarmusch's 'Broken Flowers'), Dresden Dolls, and some Blonde Redhead.

Tons more I could go into, but anyone have any thoughts so far?
ching t'i
Ching T'i
Ching T'i

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry dude, only knew like two of all those guys you mentioned. If you like jazzy blues check out "son of dave". the album's well worth getting, the stuff this guy does is unbelievable, I only just saw him live yesterday.
www.sonofdave.com

if you can get the whole songs...it's only one guy playing and doing all the beats and voices...sounds like a 5 piece band by the end of his songs!
El_Pierco
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I checked that stuff out, pretty interesting. Unfortunately I can only listen to those 30 second clips on the web site, I don't have the cash to purchase the album right now, but it's definitely something I'll scope out when I have the oppurtunity.

Do you live near London? I noticed that most of his shows were based around the area. Sounds like it would be one interesting kind of show.
ching t'i
Ching T'i
Ching T'i

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I live in Manchester. We drove down to Leeds, which is about an hour away, just to see this guy. Luckily the gig was free so we had nothing to lose. It was a pretty strange experience, as he's a pretty strange guy, but the music was incredible and his live performance was just as good as the records. Add a little banter and humour, and it was one of the best gigs I've been to recently.

Unfortunately the 30 second clips don't do the songs true justice, as throughout each song he builds up many layers by looping his own voice or melody. So if you can find the whole songs they're well worth listening to.
JACKs BTILC
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so many and all if not most have been said already like ac/dc they did great songs for Maximum Overdrive and others like red hot chili peppers, metallica, GNR, queen, john carpenter of course and more but I can't come up with them right now.
-OldGeezerPan-
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that people here have good taste in music...
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back over this ancient topic, I realize I might have been the only one in the thread who didn't have long hair or own a concert T-shirt. Laughing
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing something else with regards to finding music to listen to- over the years, my tastes tend to lean towards older artists... and the downside to that is that there usually isn't any new material coming out.

Sooner or later, you find yourself tiring of the same stuff, so you search for more. Nowadays I have a radio station tha either plays new stuff from new artists and/or older artists that I still listen to.

It's not a bad system. Wink
alsoforum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashe wrote:

WOO HOO! my favourite band of all time. i'm and "old" grunge rocker fo' shizzle!

Nirvana of course, NIN before downward spiral, STP, Natacha Atlas (she's furrin', half turk-half english, does kinda dance/middle eastern beats), Old School Rolling Stones, TOOL (tho' i haven't bought a new album since aenima), B-52's (i know, how gay am i right?), violent femmes (getting gayer by the minute here Very Happy ), rage against the machine, GnR..... i don't know [HIDDEN SPAM LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR] i'm gettin' too old to keep track of all the shiat i like. especially since i kinda lost my love for music.....more into NPR these days (that's how you know i'm old!) Rolling Eyes

Yeah, back in the day I used to listen to Maiden.... Number of the beast is one of their good ones....
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsoforum wrote:
Yeah, back in the day I used to listen to Maiden.... Number of the beast is one of their good ones....

Making your spam link too small for people to actually see kinda defeats the purpose- doesn't it, asswipe?

BANNED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Anything Else All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: