The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Storms straw/wicker hats...what are they?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
triplare

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: The Storms straw/wicker hats...what are they? Reply with quote

When the Storms are in the alley, they are wearing giant straw/wicker (?) hats. Does anyone know what these hats are called and/or where I can acquire a hat like this?
raiden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are typical Asian-worn hats, usually used by peasants working in the fields. Basically a typical hat, just to keep the sun off.

If you look up "Ronin-Kasa", you can find these hats. "Kasa" describes the hat and it's shape. The "Ronin" part means a masterless samurai, and it was usually these men who wore the larger hats, usually with slits in them so they can see outward but any other person can't really see you.

They aren't cheap. Be prepared.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: hats Reply with quote

Here is the wiki article on the Kasa hat that Raiden is refering too. Its primarily a term for the japanese hat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasa_%28hat%29

I am also included the link to the broader wiki article on these hats. As this movie took place in "Little China" they were more likely the simple farming hats made of straw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conical_straw_hat

p.s. With a quick google search I found many of these hats ranging in price from 10 bucks to 40. Not too bad. And if your city has a China town, which most do, I am sure you can find these hats cheap.
raiden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical ones are decently priced.....like the one the Mortal Kombat Raiden wears, I have, and it was cheap. Like $25.

If you like the one that Sonny JJ Chiba wears in "Samurai Reincarnation" as character "Jubei Yagyu", then you'll be paying about $75-100.

If you want the ones the Storms are wearing, also seen in the movie "Shogun Assassin" being worn by the "Lords of Death" (I believe, I have to watch it again to find out) then I think they were about $200. I wanted one, but after seeing that price tag, I changed my mind.

If anyone can find those exact ones for a good price, let me know cause I definitely would like to have one too.

EDIT: Here is a link with one place that has it. I just did a quick search, but I have a few saved links in English selling it. It doesn't look exactly the same but it's close.

http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/shop/n-komusou.htm
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the exact hats from the movie might prove difficult. Those were not standard conical hats. They were much larger and clearly of a higher quality. I couldn't find anything like them online but they must be out there somewhere. I still think your best bet is to visit your local Chinatown. You will be amazed at all the things you can find there.

As for some cheap versions, I found several online in the 10 dollar range. Here is one from Amazon and then another link from an asian specialty store. You can also get them in bulk from Oriental Trading company.

http://www.amazon.com/House-of-Rice-Chinese-strw-01/dp/B0006N23YW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1207848998&sr=8-2

http://asianideas.com/bamboohats.html

Although these are not the ones from the movie, I guess the real question is, what do you want one for? Just working outside in the garden or to keep the sun off of your head. Then these cheap versions are great. As a fashion item.....Wearing this in public might not nessasarily garner the attention someone is looking for.

Either way, I wish you luck in your search.
Shin Dai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: The Storms straw/wicker hats...what are they? Reply with quote

The giant, non-conical hats were worn by priests
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: