The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

f.a.q.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashe
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: f.a.q. Reply with quote

just wanted to post a few comments regarding some stuff i read in the
f.a.q.
i've studied kung fu and traditional chinese medicine (check me out at www.aztaichi.org) for a while now and have close contact with many chinese so maybe i can offer a new perspective;

What's up with Lo Pan looking both old and young?
*see my post about dracula

What's Egg Shen's story?
* stories about immortals (wise men who figure out the secret of eternal life) are common in chinese mythology, especially Daoist mythology. many act as protectors of the common people, like catholic saints, and in many books the term saint is actually used. i would say it's a good bet that egg shen is one of these and that he could be as old as lo pan or even older. or maybe he was taught the secret of immortality and took up the job of killing lo pan when his teacher got tired of mortal life, something sorta similar to crouching tiger, hidden dragon. immortals are said to have all kinds of powers; disappear at will, ride the wind, etc.

What the hell are all the Chinese hells?
*i haven't had the pleasure of reading the screen play, but i always thought wang said "hell of the HOLY Dragon"

What is that weird underwater room with all the skeletons?
* i always just thought that this was something that lo pan had built just to increase his scare factor (i.e. he built a mock hell just to frak out his enemies and maybe not so loyal retainers) . word of shiat like that gets around.

Why are the two gangs fighting in the alley?
*secret societies have long been a part of chinese culture, and such groups were some of the main practitioners of kung fu back in the day. there was in fact a gang by the name of the fighting tongs, but they were thugs and brigands, not good guys. i think the yellow is more a reference to group that orginized an uprising in China at the end of the Qing Dynasty (circa 1890-ish) and it was called the yellow hat or yellow turbin rebellion.
of course, yellow is also the "color" of daoism.
also i would say that the wing kong went to the funeral to cause trouble, as opposed to the chang sing wanting revenge. in chinese culture, especially in kung fu groups, honouring your teacher after they have died is a BIG, BIG deal, so the Wing Kong messing up the funeral is a HUGE insult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
flagg209

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend is Chinese American - once I asked him if "the Chinese do have a lot of hells". He said "yes" and left it at that...sadly my friend isn't as open to me as Wang Chi is to Jack.

Still my friend did watch the movie with me and translate all the Chinese for me once. That was fun - but according to him everything that they say in Chinese they are really saying. There is apparently no hidden inside jokes for Chinese speakers
Kase
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Wow! Thats a lot of good info! Cool post! thx ASHE!
ashe
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once had a good drinking buddy of mine who was chinese american. his father was really old, and actually participated in the "long march" during the communist rebllion.
my buddy however, wasn't the slightest bit interested in being chinese. he joined the army, liked blondes, hated communists & didn't speak a lick of chinese (his father didn't speak much english so as you can imagine they weren't very close).
maybe the reason your freind isn't "open" to you is because he's more american than chinese. maybe even a little embarrased that he doesn't know the answers to the questions you're asking. just because he knows how to speak the language doesn't really mean he knows the culture (things like folk tales, mythology, etc.)
globalization has done a great disservice to world cultures, fueled as it has been, by the corporations and profit motives.
many chinese and japanese teens of today aren't the slightest bit interested in the old culture, they just want cell phones and gamecubes (sound familiar?)
and to boot, many of the 1st gen immigrants are too busy working 1000 hours a week at thier resturants or corner stores or whatever to pass on what they know. (although here in the phoenix area one of the community colleges becomes a cultural center where many parents bring ther kids to learn chinese culture, where i started learing kung fu from my teacher)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
flagg209

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashe - I'd agree but my friend is nothing like that all - still I see your point, and suppose that could be in a way what it is...

that being said - I don't pry and don't chide him if he doesn't want to answer.

In fact I only very rarely ask him stuff about it
Aych Es Vee
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread!
Lim Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Symbol Shown When Lightning Dies Reply with quote

Hey, I'm new to the forum and I don't know if this has been metioned....but in the scene where Egg Shen drops the statue onto lightning as he trying to zap Jack, when he falls back into the hole and there is a huge lighning show for a few seconds right at the very end with the last zap of lightning some sort of chinese charater is displayed in the lightning. Does anyone know what this charaters means, or has anyone even noticed it at all?
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Chinese symbol for "carpenter", which of course is also the director's last name. (My wife, who is Chinese, confirmed this.) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: