The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lords of Death's Cool Ride

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexasRaider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: The Lords of Death's Cool Ride Reply with quote

I saw a thread from awhile back discussing the car the Lords of Death used to (nearly) run over Wang & Jack, and it seemed some folks were confused about what it was. Some of you might be thinking of getting a 'Lords of Death' car, and might not know what to look for.

Well, being a die hard Pontiac motorhead, I think I can help!

First off, the car was officially a 3rd generation Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. These '3rd gens' were 'clean sheet' redesigns in 1982 (along with it's cousin the Camaro), and quite a bit lighter and more efficient that than the 1970-1981 2nd Generation Firebirds and Trans Ams. The car in this film is only about 3-4 years old in design when used, so it was still a pretty new, hot ride.

Seeing how the film was shot in early 1986, it was most likely an '86 Pontiac Trans Am. Assuming it was an '86 (most GM models were released the fall of the year before their year model designation back then) and assuming it was the hottest model, that means it was probably powered by a 5.0L Tuned Port Injected (TPI) engine, which was new in 85 - prior engines were either carbureted or had throttle body injection).

This 5.0L TPI (305 cubic inch) motor (rpo code LB9) was mated only to a 700R-4 four speed automatic transmission with overdrive. This setup produced 210 horsepower and 270 foot pounds of torque. It came with either a 2.73 or optional 3.42 rear end gear. This combo was good for about a 7.0 to 7.5 second 0-60 time, between a 14.9 to 15.2 quarter mile, and about a 140mph top end. These cars also had what was called the WS6 suspension, which was the tightest suspension you could get in a GM car (besides Corvette) and it came with 245/50/VR16 tires on 16" aluminum wheels.

Now, this was pretty heady stuff in the mid 1980's, as horsepower had been missing in action since the mid 70's due to the Federal Govt's meddling over emission standards and fuel economy. The industry was just beginnning to learn how to make clean, fast and efficient motors all at once in the mid 80's.

Not all Trans Am's had this set up in 1986, the majority had throttle bodied motors (essentially a single or dual injector that sprayed into a carburetor type intake) rated at anywhere from 165-190 hp, but those engines maxxed out thier torque at around 240-250, which means they didn't pull as hard. Some of these 'lesser' motors were availble with an optional 5 speed tranny if one just had to have a manual shift, but you couldn't get the 5 speed with the 305 TPI until 1987.

This was the first year the T/A had the optional black wraparound rear spoiler, but most T/A's that had the plain, flat body colored surfboard like spoiler common to the base model Firebirds.

Now, although most of the near 49,000 Trans Ams built in 1986 used the 305 HO throttlebodied engine, not the top dog 305 TPI, all TA's could get the hot WS6 suspension set up.

It's been awhile since I've seen the film, but I think the car was painted in what was called Bright Red and had the standard parella cloth grey interior. Can't remember if it had the t-tops (rpo CC1) or not.

I guess it gives me an excuse to watch the film again.

If interested, here are some links about that era Trans Am.

Wikipedia article on the 3rd Generation Pontiac Firebird :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-generation_Pontiac_Firebird

A simple but informative site on all 3rd gen Pontiac Trans Ams
http://www.transamworld.com/fbird-history-php3.php

A book on the history of these cars:
http://books.google.com/books?id=leyn4SoNUJYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Original+Pontiac+Firebird+and+Trans+Am+1967-2002:+The+Restorer's+Guide&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

A nice photo spread of an '86 T/A from High Perfomance Pontiac
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/hppp_0705_1986_pontiac_ws6_trans_am/photo_05.html

A great site with tech data, old articles and info on all 3rd Generation F-Bodies. This link goes to pictures of the 1986's
http://www.thirdgen.org/pictures-1986-pontiac-firebird

Hope this helps! If you and your buds can find the wierd white sunglasses and a butterfly knife, you can cruise around on Halloween as the Lords of Death. Just look out for an semi truck lurking behind you if you park next to a pier!

LuCiFeRsHaL0
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man thanks for the links! I've always loved the trans am but this is just pure amazing. I wonder how many of these ever come up for sale and how much? The waffle looking background on the instrument gauges looks sooooo 80's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: