The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which storm...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashe
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wu dang is the name of a mountain / monastary (daoist) in china

Quote:
P.S. Trivia time: George Lucas was a wuxia fan in his youth. He took the genre's concept of chi, renamed it The Force, and sold it to the west three decades ago...and most people have never been the wiser!

mmm, i like what you have to say about the cultural differences, but i gotta take umberage with this last point. lucas was a kurosawa fan (samurai sowrd movies, which are very different than wuxia) and i would also say that i'm fairly well learned in star wars and it's back story (real life) and i've never heard him once refer to any of the chinese wu novels or anything like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ching t'i
Ching T'i
Ching T'i

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wu dan then? im pretty sure it was something like that.oh and i seem to remember reading something about george lucas using the idea of 'life force' or something like that. can't remember where it was from though
Mike D
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be a little off base on Lucas, but I'm positive I've heard him say in interviews that he was a fan of Asian, not just Japanese, cinema in his early days. Or maybe I'm just going senile. The parallels between The Force and wuxia's take on chi are hard to ignore, though.

OK, Wudang. Wudang, or Wu Tang, refers to the Wudang Mountains in China. Historically, the area was home to a number of Taoist monasteries, and several distinctive fighting styles developed in the region. In some movies Wudang stylists are used as bad guys against heroic Shaolin monks; in other movies Wudang stylists are the heroes. Wudang stylists were particularly renowned for their swordsmanship, and in wuxia the Wudang flying swordsman is an established archetype.

Is Rain a Wudang swordsman? I dunno, but the parallels are again hard to ignore!

Mike
ashe
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the confusion ching'ti, they're so many different methods of romanizing chinese. wu dan, wu dang, wu tang etc. i tend to use the pinyin system which is the current offical (PRC) system of romanization and the one used by most major publications.

i know that some schools take on qi would be similar to "the force", but i think that that has to due more with the majority of the asian culture mis-understanding the concepts themselves, and then passing that mis-conception on to westerners.
if this idea sounds wierd check out this post from the emptyFlower forum by a guy who is currently living in japan

Quote:
So as you might imagine... its NOT as popular here to study CMA as it might be, say, ikebana. (Flower arrangement)

Having said that, when kids see me practice in the park they will sometimes ask what Im doing. I tell them its like Judo.

"Whats Judo?"

"Do you know Aikido?"

"Whats Aikido?"

"Do you know Karate?"

Then they run away cheering: "Hes doing karate!"

if you ask most asians (living in asia) they'll probably tell you that meditation is only for monks and holy men (like, duh, how do think they got holy?), and they're just as esialy fooled by flashy wu shu demos as any westerner (while those of us who know better roll our eyes Rolling Eyes )
it's damn shame really, places like shaolin at song shan, the birthplace of zen, have become tourist traps for idiot westerners who think that the real kung fu is still there. Evil or Very Mad

oh, emei / omei is also a daoist temple / school of kung fu (especially bagua)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sing Ding
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain. Definitely. Here's why:

--awesome sword moves
--even awesomer nerfball moves
--chicks dig the hair
--other chicks dig the sideburns

But the best reason:

--the world's meanest nostrils when he's angry. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: