The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burning blade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M51

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Burning blade Reply with quote

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I just found this place and was pleasantly surprised to find people discussing one of my all-time favorite movies.

Anyway, the reason for this post is regarding the 'burning blade'. Does anyone have any information on these swords? The thing is...I have one, EXACTLY like those in the movie. I picked it up a flea market in SW Florida in the mid-eighties. I'm fairly certain I got it before the movie came out so it is unlikely to be a movie prop. It is definitely decorative only; the blade is steel but not hardened. It also has a gold and silver colored steel sheath and a black (nylon?) bag to store it as well as a gold colored tassle that can be tied to the hilt. I've always wondered what, if any relationship it may have had to the movie swords.

Thanks
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, M51! Very Happy

As far as I know, that sword is a "Tai Chi Sword", and the style was popular in the late 1980's- I recall seeing ads for it in Black Belt magazine.

If you do an image search for it, you'll see the current designs bear a resemblance to your sword. Likely, the prop department just ordered a handful for the film, seeing no need to design a costly prop from scratch when those beautiful blades were readily available.

That's as much as I know. One or two other members might chime in later (give us time, this board is a bit quiet.)
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Tai Chi sword (or 'Chinese double edged' sword). The burning blade is that head with glowing eyes and a white orb that the two brides are levitated towards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a Jian is the proper name, although like Denten and Bazooka said, we always called them Chinese Straight Swords or Tai Chi Swords. I think they used the same sword for the Green Destiny in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon too.

Either way it's a fun piece to hang on your wall. Welcome to the forum.
JACKs BTILC
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M51 and welcome to the Wing Kong Exchange.
led burton
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or is it getting hot in here?

led burton
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: official Reply with quote

official wrote:
[I like to eat poop. I like to EAT POOP. IMMA POOPEATER!-jerhina.com]wholesale I like to eat poop. I like to EAT POOP. IMMA POOPEATER! china[/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: