The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The cover to the comic that almost was
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Fan Submissions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ATPComics
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: The cover to the comic that almost was Reply with quote

A tragic tale of the Big Trouble in Little China comic; the book was approved by Fox and Kurt Russell himself, but was tragically canceled when another comic company that had the rights to another Russell related property decided to not pay what was owed. So Kurt Russell decided no more comics.













Cheers,
Stephan
Across the Pond Comics


Last edited by ATPComics on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wingkong
Site Admin


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 287
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The cover to the comic that almost was Reply with quote

ATPComics wrote:
A tragic tale of the Big Trouble in Little China comic; the book was approved by Fox and Kurt Russell himself, but was tragically canceled when another comic company that had the rights to another Russell related property decided to not pay what was owed. So Kurt Russell decided no more comics.


Wow! That's awesome! Was the comic actually finished? How many issues was it supposed to be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ATPComics
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first series was set to be a four issue miniseries than four one-shot issues filling in the time gap between the movie and the comic series. The mini-series is written, and about half the art for the first issue before it all went miles of secondhand speaker wire up. Glad you like it. I've been a fan of this site for awhile. We were looking forward to making several announcements here, but alas it was not meant to be. Maybe sometime down the road we'll try again.

Cheers,
Stephan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
-OldGeezerPan-
Storm Level 1


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 192
Location: Virginia, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm crying over this incident... Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ching t'i
Ching T'i
Ching T'i


Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 176
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know that comic looks amazing so sad that it wont make the light of day. hey what if all the members here donated like 5 or 10 dollars each and sent it to the comic book dudes or kurt russell, reckon we could convince him to do it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ATPComics
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ching t'i wrote:
i know that comic looks amazing so sad that it wont make the light of day. hey what if all the members here donated like 5 or 10 dollars each and sent it to the comic book dudes or kurt russell, reckon we could convince him to do it?


Lovely idea, but there was an upfront money offer for good faith in the contract. What caused the falling out was the other company owing him money for the Snake Plisken book (Not Alias the other company). We're going to try and restart negotiations since Mr. Russell is doing superhero related movies now. Maybe a good grassroots movement is what we need.

Cheers,
Stephan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lo Pan
Storm Level 1


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 160
Location: Underneath Chinatown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That would be great -- Comic book definately looks cool....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wingkong
Site Admin


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 287
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATPComics wrote:
ching t'i wrote:
i know that comic looks amazing so sad that it wont make the light of day. hey what if all the members here donated like 5 or 10 dollars each and sent it to the comic book dudes or kurt russell, reckon we could convince him to do it?


Lovely idea, but there was an upfront money offer for good faith in the contract. What caused the falling out was the other company owing him money for the Snake Plisken book (Not Alias the other company). We're going to try and restart negotiations since Mr. Russell is doing superhero related movies now. Maybe a good grassroots movement is what we need.

Cheers,
Stephan


You have the Wing Kong Exchange's support. Feel free to contact me personally if there's any way I can help get this project back on track.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ATPComics
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wingkong"]
ATPComics wrote:

You have the Wing Kong Exchange's support. Feel free to contact me personally if there's any way I can help get this project back on track.


Will do. I've contacted the proper people again last night to see about getting the ball rolling again. I'll PM you with the details to see what else we can pull together. Thanks for the assists.

Cheers,
Stephan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MonkeyKing
Monkey
Monkey


Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 6
Location: The Other Side

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I so wish I could have seen that comic. I work at a comic book shop and I think it would have sold decently with the current crazy for asian comic themes and such. Well Such Is Life...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WingCowPow
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 11
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Burton cant be seen with potty mouth if he is to sell to all ages!!!
Looking super glossy cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ATPComics
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WingCowPow wrote:
Jack Burton cant be seen with potty mouth if he is to sell to all ages!!!
Looking super glossy cool


Hey CowPow,
Who said anything about all ages? Wink We were keeping it in the spirit of the movie. A tough guy (who's kinda an idiot) with a big ego and colorful vocabulary. Alas, it was never meant to be. Official word has come down from the mountain tops that Mr. Russell does not want anything to do with comics anymore. Shame, there's a big following for these characters, and I for one would love to see the story continue even for just one more adventure. Since it isn't going to happen here's some more promotional material we put together and some bios for the proposal.

Cheers,
Stephan

Our buddy Jack:


The reincarnation of Thunder:


The new storm, Snow:


and a promotional post card we were going to mail out to comic book stores:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SonOfTheDark



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Location: Vienna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiho Stephan!

Thanks for the material, looks cool and I wonder what Jack Burton would say in a moment like that ^^

It's a shame that it's not going to happen in this form. So, whats the main issue anyway? Getting the rights from Fox or the agreement from Mr. Russell? I sure hope that there will be a BTILC comic series some day, the movie is a very good basis for this medium I think!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ATPComics
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonOfTheDark wrote:
Hiho Stephan!

Thanks for the material, looks cool and I wonder what Jack Burton would say in a moment like that ^^

It's a shame that it's not going to happen in this form. So, whats the main issue anyway? Getting the rights from Fox or the agreement from Mr. Russell? I sure hope that there will be a BTILC comic series some day, the movie is a very good basis for this medium I think!


Not to get into too much of the details,but both FOX and Mr. Russell were aboard until another comic who owed Mr. Russell money decided to file for bankruptcy and not pay anyone. Once that happened I received word that the comic was put on hold. Then eventually stopped. A sad story, but you never know what the future might bring.

Cheers,
Stephan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Number_6
Wingkong Recruit


Joined: 30 Jul 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Buffalo, NY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it didn't work out this time. As you say, who knows what might happen in the future. Good luck with things and I know I'd be happy to hear about any other exciting projects you have in the works in the meantime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Fan Submissions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group