The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Trouble in Little China - The Video Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Sequel Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Big Trouble in Little China - The Video Game Reply with quote

Hey folks,

It doesn't seem likely that there will ever be a movie sequel to BTLC, but based on the fact that many older movies are getting the video game remake treatment (The Thing, The Godfather, Evil Dead, etc), I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that a BTLC video game could one day happen.

If you could pitch your best BTLC idea to video game producers or executives, what would it be? Post your thoughts, comments, and ideas in this forum.
Number_6
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think possibly the best style of game for BTILC would be something along the lines of a Deus EX type of RPG. One where you could choose to play through as Jack Burton, Wang Chi or Egg Shen. Different paths and equipment for each character, allowing for greater replay. Eventually, you would have overlap of sections due to scenes where characters were in the same place together. The sewers being a great example. Each character could have a small contingent of NPCs with them and each take a different route. Successfully getting through with one character, could affect the difficulty or ease with which other characters get through. If Jack Burton accidentally destroys something that would allow Egg Shen to open a certain accessway, then Egg's group may have to take a longer way around. These are just some ideas, I'll post more as I come up with other thoughts.
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... See I think it might be cool as an old-school platformer, sort of like what was done on the SNES for the Super Star Wars series... but then again, I'm just nostalgic for those older games.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingkong wrote:
I'm just nostalgic for those older games.

I miss the sounds of the old 80's arcades- you could tell which games were there simply by using your ears. Happiness also only cost a quarter back then... (sigh) Cool
Miang
Wingkong Elite with White Goggles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
wingkong wrote:

I miss the sounds of the old 80's arcades- you could tell which games were there simply by using your ears. Happiness also only cost a quarter back then... (sigh) Cool

I saw a Tetris machine in the 'Rest Platform' in Baltimore, MD. It only cost a quarter-- too bad I only had about 30 minutes there....
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought a standup arcade machine a few years back. It's part of my plan to have a "game room" one day.

Already got Star Wars, now it's just Tron and Dig Dug missing...
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miang wrote:
I saw a Tetris machine in the 'Rest Platform' in Baltimore, MD. It only cost a quarter-- too bad I only had about 30 minutes there....

Tetris is still too new for me. I want Berzerk, Zaxxon, Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Tempest. Double Dragon is also acceptable. Cool

WingKong wrote:

Ah, the memories! The memories! I'm gonna have to go throw in my Tron DVD again...
Number_6
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingkong wrote:
I actually bought a standup arcade machine a few years back. It's part of my plan to have a "game room" one day.

Tron is my all-time favorite arcade game. It's always the first thing I look for when I go into an arcade for the first time.

As far as a side scrolling shooter goes, I'd love to see one, but it would be harder to convince a company to publish and market it. My previous suggestion was just the first thing that came to my mind.
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started to put together a design for a cell-phone side scrolling BTLC game when I was interviewing for different game designer jobs a few months back. It's not great, but check it out anyway:

Here's a sample screenshot:

Here's a sample map:

Good Knife
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
wingkong wrote:

Or a token. Top 3 games for my "game room" though are TRON (obviously), Black Tiger, and Punch-Out... Body blow, Body blow.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Knife wrote:
Or a token. Top 3 games for my "game room" though are TRON (obviously), Black Tiger, and Punch-Out... Body blow, Body blow.

Don't remember Black Tiger. Must've been after my time... Punch Out certainly was. Smile
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
Good Knife wrote:

Don't remember Black Tiger. Must've been after my time... Punch Out certainly was. Smile

Yeah, I thought maybe it was a helicopter shooter, but then I looked here...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=7138

KLOV's a great site.
Ninjaspit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey so they actually once made a Big Trouble in Little China game for the Commodore 64. If you go here: www.c64.com and search for it you can check it out. A modern version of the game would be awesome. I can see Rockstar putting it out.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum, Ninjaspit! Very Happy
INSPIRE84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for telling me about this forum. No one seemed to respond in my other one. We all seem to share similar views. As i was saying before, Rockstar Games (grand theft auto, max payne etc) did The Warriors game which also helped re-surface this cult classic, as well as broaden a new generation of audience.

I really do think they could make a game. It should be a 3rd person action/adventure game. With cinematic cut scenes, and maybe even online play. Sort of like Xbox 360's "Saint's Row" form of online play where 6 of you are a gang against 6 opponants. But yellow vs red turbans in the streets of Chinatown. I had some contacts at rockstar but they are not too friendly. Althogh i have a friend at Midway Games (mortal kombat). The ideas are endless and there are few movies that i truly love that i could see into successful games.
Obviously if BTILC were made a game, like The Warriors game, i'm sure they would add extra content to make a timely game. For example sort of a pre-quel to the movie (so half the game would take place before the movie) Just some ideas...what do you guys think? I dunno its just something i've always thought about, and especially after buying the next gen systems, i think the possibilies are endless. Plus some sick exquisitely varnished Oak-wood storage cabinet graphics!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Sequel Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: