The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-shirt reactions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Merchandise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike D
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: T-shirt reactions Reply with quote

So, have any of you had any funny reactions from strangers over the BTLC T-shirt you were wearing? I've other fans screech "INDEED!" at my Lo Pan shirt or ask me where the Dragon of the Black Pool is. I like to play it straight in the latter case: "It's in San Francisco Chinatown. If you ever go there ask for Wang Chi, he's the owner. Good guy."

I've only had one person ask about my Wing Kong T-shirt, but that one was my favorite. Last year I was shopping for a new car. I'd saved up for it so I wouldn't have to finance, so I was basically offering cash up front. I also wasn't letting anyone run my license; since I wasn't financing I didn't want them running credit checks on me (but they will anyway if you give them a chance).

So I'm chatting with some car salesman, and like car salesmen usually do, he was trying to make small talk so I'd think he was my buddy or whatever. I didn't want to talk sports, which apparently wore out his conversational gambits. Grasping for a topic, he saw my shirt and asked me what the Wing Kong Trading Company was.

My instinct was to play it off straight, just I like always do with the Black Pool. "Oh, they're an importer / exporter," I said.

"Oh yeah? What do they import and export?" he asked. Abruptly I realized that I didn't specifically know...I mean, does the movie ever explicitly state what the Wing Kong Exchange actually does above boards? If it does, I didn't remember.

I was stuck for a reply. "Uh...antiques, mostly, from Asia, and...you know, other stuff," was all I could come up with. I felt so lame; my surreal little joke was falling flat. I think I looked a bit uneasy.

The salesman looked confused at first, then his face changed...it was the look of a man who's suddenly realized something interesting. Then it hit me: Here I was offering cash up front for a new car. I'd refused to show him any ID. Finally, I was proclaiming allegiance to an import / export company whose business details I was reluctant to discuss.

The rest of our conversation was very odd, as the salesman was obviously thinking I was some kind of drug dealer or something...all of sudden he was a lot less friendly. I don't think he was completely convinced, but it was clear he had his suspicions! Didn't stop him from trying to sell me a car, mind you. Still, I found it harder and harder to keep a straight face as we continued to talk.

Anyone else had anything like that happen?

Mike

Last edited by Mike D on Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too funny...

I've had people ask me about the Dragon of the Black Pool jacket. Usually I just say it's from a restaurant in Chinatown. Little do they know...
ashe
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a t-shirt that said kung fu studio:hong kong and some other stuf and people would sometimes ask me, oh that's really cool did you train there?
and i was like, uh, no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one of the Jack Burton Tank-tops a while back. It's surprising how many people in the UK stop me and ask me where i got it from, to which i reply Wing-Kong on the net! Cool
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get one, but everytime I click on the "add to cart" button, a plain blank window opens up...

...and nothing else happens.

Confused
LIGHTNING
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm saving up to get the jacket.

i must own it.
Lo Pan
Storm Level 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: T-shirt reactions Reply with quote

Mike D wrote:
So, have any of you had any funny reactions from strangers over the BTLC T-shirt you were wearing? I've other fans screech "INDEED!" at my Lo Pan shirt

Ha ha! That is pretty funny! I think there are alot of closet BTILC fans out there -- One time I was riding the M60 from LaGuardia airport back into Manhattan when in the back of the bus I heard one guy say: "New York is here". The other guy promptly responded: "What does that mean? New York is here?! I don't even know what the hell that means." I couldn't help cracking up when I heard that.
Mike D
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: T-shirt reactions Reply with quote

Lo Pan wrote:
The other guy promptly responded: "What does that mean? New York is here?! I don't even know what the hell that means." I couldn't help cracking up when I heard that.

That is AWESOME. Almost life-affirming! I'm always trying to get my students to watch the film -- my little effort to create a few new fans -- but I think they're afraid to.

As for saving up to get the jacket, definitely do it! Mine is a huge hit with, like, everybody I know.

Mike
bighand99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

That's hilarious Mike D. When I was in college I used to try to convert as many people as possible to this movie. I was in a Chinese Pop Culture class and actually got the teacher to show the movie in class! I also wrote a paper about it in a writing class. Spread the word!
FJMcCloud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.anthrofox.org/gallery/Further_Confusion_2008/crw_4701
http://www.anthrofox.org/gallery/Further_Confusion_2008/crw_4703

And too bad. I almost had a parody skit to go along with it, paying homage to BTLC and Mortal Kombat. Just ran out of time to finish it for the convention. Maybe just as well. It was a little silly anyway. Smile
emileyjoe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many person ask about my Wing Kong T-shirt that one is my favorite t-shirt i relay like Wing Kong T-Shirt.
it's_all_in_the_indeed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Definitely Reply with quote

My INDEED! shirt gets a lot of attention but sadly I have not yet had anyone screech it at me, which would make my day. I wore it last summer while visiting my family and my mom took notice of it and asked about it, she vaguely remembers my brother and I watching the movie repeatedly when we were younger. Then a few months later while talking to her on the phone she tells me that the movie came on T.V. and she watched it attentively just to see the INDEED! scene, and then stopped watching. I laughed, and laughed. I had a store clerk ask me if it was the band "INDEED!", a band he apparently used to listen to. I only wear it about once a month, probably need to step it up a bit.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mom watching the movie for the Indeed is pretty awesome.
led burton
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I get a lot of comments on my shirt. Most don't know what it's from though.
LuCiFeRsHaL0
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: hahah Reply with quote

wingkong wrote:
That's too funny...

I've had people ask me about the Dragon of the Black Pool jacket. Usually I just say it's from a restaurant in Chinatown. Little do they know...

You gonna offer those jackets again? I should have bought one when I had the chance. Now I'm in a MAJOR regret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Merchandise All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: