The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movies similar to BTLC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Anything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rover
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Movies similar to BTLC? Reply with quote

Just wondering, does any of you know some movies similar to Big Trouble in Little China? Same style, same humor, same purpose, same things parodied...I'd like to check out some more of this kind of movie Very Happy
The only one I can think of is Last Action Hero, but it wasn't that great...
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Movies similar to BTLC? Reply with quote

Rover wrote:
Just wondering, does any of you know some movies similar to Big Trouble in Little China? Same style, same humor, same purpose, same things parodied...I'd like to check out some more of this kind of movie Very Happy
The only one I can think of is Last Action Hero, but it wasn't that great...

Rent Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - one of the co-writers of BTLC directed it.
Rover
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer and synopsis look totally weird -I should love it. Thank you fir your recomendation Smile
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one along the lines of BTiLC is The Golden Child starring Eddie Murphy. It's a weird blend of mysticism and one-liners, and it's not as good as BTiLC (then again, what is?) Wink but it might be worth checking out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091129/

(Many actors from Big Trouble appear in this film as well!) Cool
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
Another one along the lines of BTiLC is The Golden Child starring Eddie Murphy. It's a weird blend of mysticism and one-liners, and it's not as good as BTiLC (then again, what is?) Wink but it might be worth checking out.

Weird thing was that BTLC and Golden Child came out around the same time - and Golden Child stole pretty much all of BTLC's box office receipts.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingkong wrote:
Weird thing was that BTLC and Golden Child came out around the same time - and Golden Child stole pretty much all of BTLC's box office receipts.

In retrospect, BTiLC seems to hold up better against time. I know that statement comes off as biased, as it's coming from a moderator on a BTiLC board, Wink but I just checked and GC has no independent message board of its own (apart from IMDb), nor do I ever recall people quoting Chandler Jarrell over Jack Burton. Wink
Rover
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nor do I ever recall people quoting Chandler Jarrell over Jack Burton.

Actually, expect a few fans who are probably all registered on this board, no one quotes Jack Burton nowadays...
Golden Child might be worth the watch, thank you Smile
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rover wrote:
no one quotes Jack Burton nowadays...

You may want to check out this thread, just for laughs! Laughing

http://wingkong.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=559
Rover
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao! Ok, some people actually quote BTiLC Smile
I oughta try it someday...
Keith
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: The Last Dragon Reply with quote

I'm kinda partial to The Last Dragon, but it's no where near as good as BTLC.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Last Dragon Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
I'm kinda partial to The Last Dragon, but it's no where near as good as BTLC.

I remember that one! Smile The kid-brother sidekick was kinda annoying, but otherwise that one was fun. Like you said, it's no BTiLC! Cool

"Sho'Nuff... the Shogun of Harlem!" Laughing
Rover
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I saw "Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"...it was good, thanks for recommending it! It wasn't as good as Big Trouble, but still very enjoyable Smile
Big Trouble in Little GA
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingkong wrote:
Bazooka Goof wrote:

Acualy, the Golden Child is BTILC arch film rival. How do I know? Here is why....

-Both released same year
-James Hong, Victor Wong, and Rain (one of the storms) is in both films
-John Carpenter almost ended up directing The Golden Child
-Both have oriental mysticism

And wikipedia added even more

Quote:
Barish and Monash first offered the project to Carpenter in July 1985. He had read the Goldman/Weinstein script and deemed it “outrageously unreadable though it had many interesting elements.”[4]

To compete with rival production The Golden Child’s casting of box office draw Eddie Murphy, Carpenter wanted a big star of his own and both Clint Eastwood and Jack Nicholson were considered but were busy.[4] The studio wanted to cast Kurt Russell because they felt that he was an up-and-coming star. Initially, Russell wasn’t that interested in the screenplay and the character of Jack Burton because he felt that there was “a number of different ways to approach Jack, but I didn’t know if there was a way that would be interesting enough for this movie.”[5] After talking to Carpenter and reading the script a couple more times, he got a handle on the character and liked the notion of having “never played a hero who has so many faults. Jack is and isn’t the hero. He falls on his exquisitely varnished Oak-wood storage cabinet as much as he comes through. This guy is a real blowhard. He’s a lot of hot air, very self-assured, a screw-up.”[5] Furthermore, the actor felt that "at heart he thinks he's Indiana Jones but the circumstances are always too much for him."[6] Russell felt that the film would be a hard one to market. "This is a difficult picture to sell because it's hard to explain. It's a mixture of the real history of Chinatown in San Francisco blended with Chinese legend and lore. It's bizarre stuff. There are only a handful of non-Asian actors in the cast."[6]

Problems began to arise when Carpenter learned that the next Eddie Murphy vehicle, The Golden Child, featured a similar theme and was going to be released around the same time as Big Trouble in Little China. (As it happened, Carpenter was asked by Paramount Pictures to direct The Golden Child). He remarked in an interview, “How many adventure pictures dealing with Chinese mysticism have been released by the major studios in the past 20 years? For two of them to come along at the exact same time is more than mere coincidence.”[4] To beat the rival production at being released in theaters, Big Trouble went into production in October 1985 so that it could open in July 1986, five months before The Golden Child’s Christmas release.

Personaly and Criticaly, Big Trouble In Little China succeds in all subjects that are touched on in both films...
wingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, can you imagine if Jack Nicholson or Clint Eastwood took on the Jack Burton role?
Big Trouble in Little GA
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint, I would puke if he did the part. Jack, I would be curious. He has a large amount of acting abilities and has done comedy and horror and I think that it would be curious. But no one could beat Kurt Russel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Anything Else All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: