The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Trouble HDTV Rip!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaNks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Big Trouble HDTV Rip!!! Reply with quote

I always check every now and then to see if the film (perhaps my favourite movie like many of you also) has been broadcasted on any HD channels and if so if there is rip floating about on the net...well as of 28th April there was. I just found it on my google travels today and will be finished downloading it shortly. I thought I'd give everyone the heads up that it's out there and to check it out ;]

From the sample file I'm not so sure about the quality though and that's why it'd be good to get some opinions on it if anyone else picks this up. It looks about same the quality as the DVD version upscaled to 1080p (through a HDMI player) on my screen (Panasonic HDTV so its a decent set). It's gonna be hard to say until I've got the whole thing and compared it closely to the upscaled DVD. It would be a shame if this HD broadcast was just upscaled from the DVD source and hence brings nothing new to the table.

It might just be that the original film source for this movie isn't all that amazing and this is indeed a nice improvement on DVD quality. Will give some feedback once I've watched it through and done the comparison.

Here's a lil info on the rip:

Release date: April 28, 2007
Theater date: July 2, 1986
Source: 1080p h264 ts (Sky Movies 10 / abhdtv)
Codec: x264 2-pass
Audio: 768K DTS 5.1
Bitrate: 5503kbps
Resolution: 1280 x 544 (2.35:1) OAR
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish .exquisitely varnished Oak-wood storage cabinet
Framerate: 23.976 fps
Length: 1:39:42
Filesize: 4.36 GB (4,683,280,224 bytes) DVD5

Matt. Cool
HaNks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed HD Cool It's just there's more compression artifacts than usual because of the fact its a TV as opposed to disc rip and the film source probably isn't that great as I said before.

However, this is now the definitive version of the movie until a BD version is released (and it would need a real good remaster to look significantly better than it does here). Sitting a normal distance away from the screen - everything is looking incredible sharp and colourful like it should in HD Cool
Charlie13
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only hope that for the 25th anniversary they re-release it in super HD and all the digitally remastered stuff.

That'd be sweet.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Blu-Ray has won the format war, I'm hoping for a sweet transfer of BTiLC. Of course, I still have to buy a Blu-Ray player, but prices need to drop a bit more. By then, who knows? Smile
Charlie13
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
Now that Blu-Ray has won the format war, I'm hoping for a sweet transfer of BTiLC. Of course, I still have to buy a Blu-Ray player, but prices need to drop a bit more. By then, who knows? Smile

Two birds one stone, get yourself a PS3.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie13 wrote:

Nah, I quit video games in the early 90's. For me, progress peaked with the Commodore 64. Cool
Charlie13
Wingkong Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
Charlie13 wrote:

Nah, I quit video games in the early 90's. For me, progress peaked with the Commodore 64. Cool

Then you've either got some serious old guy cred, or are very easily entertained. Possibly both Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> The Film All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: