The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Trouble in Little China - Full Engorged Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Fan Submissions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbidosis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Big Trouble in Little China - Full Engorged Edition Reply with quote

http://fanedit.org/369/

guys if you like movies, some of the fan edits done by these folks are $million dollar productions, most cases better than the studios themselves.

im checking out thei Big Trouble version, where they cut in 95% of the extended scenes... gonna compare it to my extended cut. they usually do an excellent job of mastering the audio and music to better fit the film.

anyways beside the Big Trouble edit, there is SOOO much to check out there

like their Star Wars IV edit

http://fanedit.org/517/

which is being touted as the best version ever by people all over the industry. havent watched it yet (taking a while to download)

anyways, enjoy =)
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to cut in deleted scenes, more power to them- except that usually, scenes are deleted for a reason: they may interfere with the structure of the overall film; they may include redundant information, or just slow down the pacing in general.

In the case of the Star Wars movies, I find it amusing that people accuse George Lucas of tinkering too much with his original films and want them as they were... and then have the hubris to go ahead and add their own effects and alternate shots; in effect, committing the same crimes they accuse Lucas of.

Oh, the irony. Rolling Eyes

For the record, George Lucas should stop tinkering with his orginal trilogy.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, deleted scenes are often deleted for a reason.

As for Lucas, he should have been put down a long time ago.

I didn't mind when he cleaned up the special effects. But changing scenes or adding scenes. That was retarded. He doesn't even realize how much he changed his own story. But since the three new ones he made ignore that original story, I guess it doesn't matter if he changes it.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjahero wrote:

I was trying to be polite, but your comment is much better anyway! Cool

I also didn't mind Episode 4's Special Edition, except for two major changes...

...the first one is the insertion of the Jabba scene. Why bother, other than to show that it could be done? It's needlessly redundant, and since it was done in a master shot, it contains a error in camera blocking: Harrison Ford crosses behind Jabba and in doing so, steps on his tail. When they released the DVDs, they said the error was corrected- in reality, it was worse as Han Solo was now CGI'd into stepping on Jabba's tail.

The Jabba the Hutt we knew from Return of the Jedi would have had Han fried on the spot. This scene should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

The other transgression is the Greedo scene. Who the hell misses a shot when the target is sitting still about three feet away? In the DVD, they CGI'd Han into dodging the shot, and it looks unconvincing.

Making Han shoot in self-defense also destroys the character arc- an unforgivable move on Lucas' part.
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hayden Christensen addition in VI still makes me hurt on the inside. They may aswell get Qui Gonn and Mace Windu in there for good measure if they are gonna put that little bitch in. Hopefully they will release a full saga box set soon and put everything back to the way it should be.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:
Ninjahero wrote:

I was trying to be polite, but your comment is much better anyway! Cool

I also didn't mind Episode 4's Special Edition, except for two major changes...

...the first one is the insertion of the Jabba scene. Why bother, other than to show that it could be done? It's needlessly redundant, and since it was done in a master shot, it contains a error in camera blocking: Harrison Ford crosses behind Jabba and in doing so, steps on his tail. When they released the DVDs, they said the error was corrected- in reality, it was worse as Han Solo was now CGI'd into stepping on Jabba's tail.

The Jabba the Hutt we knew from Return of the Jedi would have had Han fried on the spot. This scene should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

The other transgression is the Greedo scene. Who the hell misses a shot when the target is sitting still about three feet away? In the DVD, they CGI'd Han into dodging the shot, and it looks unconvincing.

Making Han shoot in self-defense also destroys the character arc- an unforgivable move on Lucas' part.

Have we had this discussion before? Those are my exact arguments.

If Han was such a good dude he wouldn't even shoot first, why would he leave at the end with the gold? He wouldn't. He would have stayed and fought. Thanks for screwing that up Lucas. Now the Solo has no arc at all.
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression of Han is that he is in fact a scumbag to begin with, or at least his exterior is that of a scumbag. I think it's part of the characters evolution that he gradually gets more and more moral. His first good deed not influenced by his need to look out for himself being when he takes out Darth Vader's TIE. Obviously he then becomes more and more of a good person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denton wrote:
My impression of Han is that he is in fact a scumbag to begin with, or at least his exterior is that of a scumbag. I think it's part of the characters evolution that he gradually gets more and more moral. His first good deed not influenced by his need to look out for himself being when he takes out Darth Vader's TIE. Obviously he then becomes more and more of a good person.

Exactly, so George Lucas's argument that Han was too good a guy to shoot Greedo first, makes no sense. He was scum. Of course he would shoot Greedo first. Not wait until a bad CGI fake shot is fired and retaliate.

Lucas is so clueless about characters.
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought popped into my head, and I thought I would share.
I'm okaaaaaay with Greedo shooting first, but only if it was filmed that way. I am definately NOT ok with the shitty way they added it in later on. I still prefer Han shooting first, but if they thought it out better, Greedo shooting first might work.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denton wrote:
A thought popped into my head, and I thought I would share.
I'm okaaaaaay with Greedo shooting first, but only if it was filmed that way. I am definately NOT ok with the shitty way they added it in later on. I still prefer Han shooting first, but if they thought it out better, Greedo shooting first might work.

I'm unsure if that would have worked- I don't see how Greedo could have missed Han, unless you meant that they should have filmed Han actually dodging the shot and then firing. In any case, Lucas totally boned it, and when he dies, he will be sent to the Hell of No CGI Technology. (aka Ethiopia)
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how it was filmed it doesn't work. As I said, this is about the characters story arc and not the scene.

Either Han is a good dude, who would never shoot first, even to save his own life. In that case he should have been helping the rebellion as much as possible and never left at the end when they attacked the death star.

Or we are saying he was a smuggler who cared only about himself and his ship. He would obviously shot anyone trying to hurt either. But in the course of the movie he finds a greater purpose in life. He finds friends and a cause. Hence he shows up at the last minute, shots vader's ship, and allows Luke to save the day.

At the end of the day, if we want to call this a good movie, it needs actual characters who have arcs. The Greedo scene magically undoes that with one stupid effect.

in my humble opinion anyway.

I Hate Lucas
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I definately agree Ninjahero. What I meant was, if they filmed (and scripted) it differently, it could work overall, but the way Lucas tried to do it doesn't work. Say, if they had their conversation and Han says 'Tell Jabba he will get his money' and walks towards Chewie or the exit, and Greedo says 'I will see that Jabba gets your message' and fires, then Han dodges and fires back. It's all hypothetical though... I think it worked best the first way. I just think that if Lucas really did want Greedo to shoot first, like he says, he should have planned it out like that.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denton wrote:
Oh yeah, I definately agree Ninjahero. What I meant was, if they filmed (and scripted) it differently, it could work overall, but the way Lucas tried to do it doesn't work. Say, if they had their conversation and Han says 'Tell Jabba he will get his money' and walks towards Chewie or the exit, and Greedo says 'I will see that Jabba gets your message' and fires, then Han dodges and fires back. It's all hypothetical though... I think it worked best the first way. I just think that if Lucas really did want Greedo to shoot first, like he says, he should have planned it out like that.

Oh you are totally right. The fact that the scene wasn't meant to be there is a huge problem. Retroactively trying to add it is yet another move by the moron Lucas.

Awesome Pic Bazooka
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjahero wrote:
Awesome Pic Bazooka

Thanks! Very Happy (the original was the guy eating Uwe Boll's head, and I just thought ol' George was more appropriate.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Fan Submissions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: