The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical question regarding fan work...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Fan Submissions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical question regarding fan work... Reply with quote

Hey, just thought I'd throw this out here to hear some opinions...

How long would you be willing to wait for a piece of fan work? Say, if someone out there decided they were going to make a sequel to BTiLC (unauthorized, of course) how long would you wait until you just said, "forget it, it's taking too long!" (Especially after said fan hyped up the work with actual press releases & interviews)
Keith
Wingkong Elite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. This question doesn't seem hypothetical -- is there some reality behind it?

For my part, I'll happily look at any BTiLC related work when it becomes available, regardless of when it was promised.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reality of everyone is that after a few months the excitement dies down. Out of sight out of mind.

That is why most movies don't even start advertising until a month or two before they come out.

So better to make the sequel, and then tell us as you are finishing up the final edit.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
LOL. This question doesn't seem hypothetical -- is there some reality behind it?

There is, but it has nothing to do with me or BTiLC.

Ninjahero wrote:
That is why most movies don't even start advertising until a month or two before they come out.

So better to make the sequel, and then tell us as you are finishing up the final edit.

Excellent point- let me go more in detail. Back in 2004 a handful of guys decided they were "sick of waiting" for the next sequel in another famous franchise to come out, so they set out to make their own sequel.

They actually shot on two different continents, and spent at least $10,000 (the last time I checked) on production. They got interviewed by newspapers and got mentioned in numerous blogs & assorted sites. They hyped it up to be THE ultimate fan film. They even opened up their own website dedicated to the movie and started their own message board devoted to praising the film.

Again, this was 2004. As time rolled on, updates became fewer and far in between. Suddenly, Hollywood announced that the actual sequel was going to be made, and these guys made it clear that they were going to release their movie before the real deal made it to theaters in 2008.

More time passed, and as the summer of 2008 loomed, there was speculation that they would release their movie on the same date. Many blogs went nuts, crowing about how there was light at the end of the tunnel after years of waiting.

Well, that was 2008. We're almost six years into this, and all anyone can say is that "it's coming soon." (Meanwhile, Hollywood is working on another sequel in the same franchise.)

Really, I stopped caring some years ago. I was curious to hear some other opinions.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel like the public at large has a very short attention span. Heck, I forget most summer movies coming out until I see another preview. And those are the most hyped films of the year.

But whoever those dudes were, when they missed their 2008 mark, they were done. The fact that they kept your interest for 4 years is impressive. A shame they didn't make it. I wonder if legal reasons got in the way.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corepiedra12 wrote:
For me, as long as I know or have an idea that it going to happen soon, regardless of time span, then I'll really hold on..

That statement would be more sincere were you not a spammer. Rolling Eyes
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Bazook, can't spammers have opinions too?? LOL
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting update on this thread- the fan film in question received the dubious honor of making a top ten list of fan films that will never get released!

Click Here to read.

Regarding that list, the Star Wars "Secrets of the Rebellion" is intriguing, because the director is doing hard time for murder! (unless they allow fan films in prison, I see why this one made the list!)

Also, I'm surprised the writer of the article was looking forward to the Captain America fan film. Judging from the trailer, it looks clumsy and amateurish.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed. I had no idea fan films had such big budgets. A few of those looked expensive. But yeah, Cap looked bad.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjahero wrote:
I had no idea fan films had such big budgets.

For the most part, it's pouring money down the drain. A few modest fan filmmakers make something small and add it to their demo reel, which in turn gets them a job as an effects artist at a studio.

But the more ambitious ones are spinning their wheels, it seems. I would think that if you're going to blow that much cake on an independent movie, it ought to be an original work. That way, you stand a chance at getting that money back... possibly more.

After all, fan films technically are illegal. If a studio wants to take someone into court for making a fan film, they have every right to do so.

I think some of these guys have some messed-up priorities!
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:

But the more ambitious ones are spinning their wheels, it seems. I would think that if you're going to blow that much cake on an independent movie, it ought to be an original work. That way, you stand a chance at getting that money back... possibly more.

After all, fan films technically are illegal. If a studio wants to take someone into court for making a fan film, they have every right to do so.

I think some of these guys have some messed-up priorities!

Oh, I agree completely. I am just saying, it's crazy to see how much money they will spend, all for nothing more than fandom proof. Really, that's what you get. The ability to tell your friends you are the biggest whatever fan because you made a movie about it.
Miang
Wingkong Elite with White Goggles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thou shalt not tempt me to write screenplay, for the Script Frenzy hath already started, and I will most assuredly never finish.

Fan films. Fan comics. Fan fic.... and me without a plot.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miang wrote:
Thou shalt not tempt me to write screenplay, for the Script Frenzy hath already started, and I will most assuredly never finish.

Fan films. Fan comics. Fan fic.... and me without a plot.

Would this be a bad time for me to mention all the automated plot generators available online?? Wink
Miang
Wingkong Elite with White Goggles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with some of them, actually.Smile
I have projects on top of projects right now.Smile
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miang wrote:

I have projects on top of projects right now.Smile

There is a problem I can relate too. Hang in there Miang.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Fan Submissions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: