The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index The Wing Kong Exchange
Big Trouble in Little China forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

People Love Their Problems.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Anything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: People Love Their Problems. Reply with quote

I found this on Craigslist (I can't find anything to link to or mention as far as an original author, but let it be known that I do not take credit for this.) I thought it was an interesting read:

People Love Their Problems

This is about no one in particular. This is about a majority of all the people I have ever met. I am not immune myself from time to time, but I am aware of it and doing my best constantly.

Everyone is in love with their problems. There is a simple reason for this: It's peoples problems that give them convenient excuses to pretend like there is some eternal outside force preventing them from doing what they "really want to do". The real "problem" is that people either don't know what they want to do, or, they are too afraid of failure to make an attempt at it. As long as there is always something to fix, they can carry on the illusion that something outside of themselves is responsible for their perpetual rut.

When you have no serious "problems", you are left with just you. There you are. What are you going to do now? Nothing to complain about or fix, nothing to rail against on a personal level. Now let's see what you can do! That's what people are afraid of. They are afraid that that moment will come and then they will have "nothing" to do, or they will "fail", so they subconsciously set up situations in their lives that they know are bad for them in order to permanently forestall this moment from ever arriving. People are so good at deceiving themselves that most don't even know what they are doing. Sometimes they step back, realize it, and try to stop the cycle by creating a bunch of new rules for themselves that will prevent it. But the rules become so constricting that they have a whole new set of problems to point their fingers at.

So, it's easy for an observer (such as myself) to point out silliness in the world. It's more of a challenge to offer an answer, and I like challenges, even though I can only offer up what works for me. The solution seems simple enough:

Live a life of voluntary simplicity.
"Simplicity is not the goal. It is the byproduct of a good idea and modest expectations" - Paul Rand

Be prepared for anything but expect nothing.
Expectations are a common cause of the "WHY ME?" epidemic spreading its putrid self across this country for the last 50 years. If normal people are in love with their problems, then "WHY ME?" types are having torrid affairs with their problems. This is annoying, please stop it.

Never say never.
Try not to convince yourself that you cannot do something. ("I'll never smoke again", "I'd never date someone I work with", etc.) It only creates artificial limits, in which you set yourself up for disappointment once they are broken.

Avoid undue negativity and psychic vampires.
You know who you are, you selfish lovers you. Do not avoid them out of fear, but out of a value you give to your time in this world and how it is spent.

Respect and be honest with yourself.
Just like the old saying goes, you can't love someone else until you love yourself....otherwise all you are doing is living like a leech off another persons love. If this person who is being leeched is doing the same thing, you get a pretty ugly sight, where up is down and left is right. Vampirism in the flesh.

Embrace failure, you will learn from it.
This is key. Far too many people worry about looking stupid. Others set their internal bars so high that they won't even bother practicing something enough times to excel because they spend too much time dwelling on the gap between what they are doing and what is in their head, instead of just doing it. It's time for a new definition of "wrong". Wrong should mean not trying.

The amazing thing about human beings is that we have so much potential amid a universe of possibilities. The tragedy is that we all too often squander these potentialities in favor of a pathetic pile of petty, self-induced "problems".
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece. Although my problems are not like everyone elses problems. They really do keep me from my goals. Wink Wink
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of think that this is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who reads it. People know how to live their lives and deal with their problems. I just don't think many people haven't already considered these possibilities, so it's not really worth the author mentioning it.

Also, just as something else...
Quote:
spreading its putrid self across this country for the last 50 years

I've noticed a lot more people on the internet doing this recently. What I mean is, when they talk about stuff, they only mention their own country, rather than the world. One example of this is that a movie reviewer talked about how the film Rocky captivated American audiences. I don't see why he said American, especially because Rocky is so internationally relevant. I'm not really getting at anything, I just thought it was worth noting somewhere and this post brought it to my mind again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LimericksJackBurton
Wingkong Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is where you guys are hanging out I said I'd drop in..
Nobody wants to talk to the new guy... Sad
Denton
Wingkong Leader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums really aren't that active.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denton wrote:
The forums really aren't that active.

What he said.
Miang
Wingkong Elite with White Goggles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimericksJackBurton wrote:
Since this is where you guys are hanging out I said I'd drop in..
Nobody wants to talk to the new guy... Sad

I'd talk, but there's this problem with my voice.

I have problems that I've created myself, and problems I've had dumped on me.
I'd rather be complaining about something minor, than the issues that I have at work right now.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people I know have a fairly good handle on things- I posted this because it reminded me of a small handful of acquaintances (I'd rather not call them friends) who fit into this article perfectly.

These individuals love their problems because it gives them a hundred excuses and absolves them of any responsibilities. Subsequently, they're pretty much just drifting through life without any major accomplishments to speak of.

Jumping off-topic (because it's totally cool to do that here) the forum actually has been a little busier than it's ever been in the past three years! Hats off to all who've been posting! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazooka Goof wrote:

Jumping off-topic (because it's totally cool to do that here) the forum actually has been a little busier than it's ever been in the past three years! Hats off to all who've been posting! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yeah, it has been cool to check every day and see new posts. Keep up the good work all. Smile
Miang

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha.
I need a new hat.

I haven't accomplished anything major, and I really hate drifting through life-- though the kind of responsibility that comes with certain positions at work makes me cringe. It's not a good kind-- it's the kind that can lead to death at a younger age than I'd like.

Maybe my grandmother /is/ just an excuse for me to stay in this state-- but most of the family is too busy to check on her most of the time. They have lives, I don't.
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miang wrote:
I haven't accomplished anything major, and I really hate drifting through life-- though the kind of responsibility that comes with certain positions at work makes me cringe. It's not a good kind-- it's the kind that can lead to death at a younger age than I'd like.

Maybe my grandmother /is/ just an excuse for me to stay in this state-- but most of the family is too busy to check on her most of the time. They have lives, I don't.

Give yourself time- some things take a while. Also, change is inevitable- so it's likely that six months from now (or whenever) things are going to be different again!

Hey, if you're taking care of your grandmother, I commend you. That's an honorable action you can look back on years from now with pride. Cool
Miang

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm older than I look. It's been 13 years since I graduated from college.
And later, I can look back on this period of my life, and say 'How the *&^ did I manage to keep sane... oh. wait. Not sane.'

I'm giving myself until September to find a new position.
Ninjahero
Storm Level 3

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you to set a deadline. I gave myself till August this year to get my cartoons up and running full time. So far, the deadline seems to be winning this fight..lol

But there is still time for my victory.
Miang

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more reachable deadline than the 'Get a book published by age 40' thing.

Not there yet, but it's not looking likely.Wink
Bazooka Goof
Bazooka
Bazooka

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miang wrote:
A more reachable deadline than the 'Get a book published by age 40' thing.

Not there yet, but it's not looking likely.Wink

Keep at it and don't give up.

On a more extreme example, look at Miley Cyrus. As of this writing, I don't think she's even 18 yet and she's already peaked. Does anyone think she's going to rise to levels equal to where she is now while doing something else with her life? Unlikely.

So, if she's going to live another 80 years, it's all downhill from now on. (Yes, I know she's insanely wealthy, but there's a point where even all the money in the world won't help.)

Just my two cents. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Wing Kong Exchange Forum Index -> Anything Else All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: